Cycling New Zealand:
Baradene College took out the major girls honours in the team time trial on the opening day of the Cycling New Zealand School Road Championships in Manawatu.
Baradene College won two of the three team time trial titles in the under-16 and under-20 grades and were third in the year 7-8 to complete an outstanding start to the championships.
Nearly 600 riders from 84 schools are taking part in the 52nd annual schools championship, staged over three days with the team time trials on day one, road race on day two and points race at Manfeild Circuit on the final day on Monday.
Baradene stamped their authority over the female competition in the team time trial, winning the senior under-20 honours in 27:34.59 with 16 seconds back to Epsom Girls and Christchurch’s Villa Maria College a further minute back in third.
“With this new course, we rode it yesterday and learned it was windy coming back so we kept that in mind today and knew it would be hard and needed to protect our riders a bit. We held it all together well,” said Baradene’s Team Captain, Lara Hopkinson.
“Epsom Grammar has been first in every race this year at Auckland Champs and North Islands so pipping them for the win was quite an accomplishment.”
The Auckland school claimed the under-16 title in 28:51.26, a time that would have earned third placing in the senior race. They finished 23 seconds ahead of Epsom Girls with Saint Kentigern nearly a further minute behind in third.
It proved a family affair for Baradene with Lara Hopkinson and Aimee Blackmore in the senior team and their sisters Alice Hopkinson and Emma Blackmore in the under-16 combination.
Team Time Trial Results
Year 7-8 Girls:
- 1st Palmerston North Intermediate 32:21.68
- 2nd Cambridge Middle School 34:01.10
- 3rd Baradene College 34:19.60
Under 16 Girls:
- 1st Baradene College 28:51.26
- 2nd Epsom Girls Grammar School 29:14.21
- 3rd Saint Kentigern College 30:11.44
Under 20 Girls:
- 1st Baradene College 27:34.59
- 2nd Epsom Girls Grammar School 27:50.24
- 3rd Villa Maria College 28:51.51
Year 7-8 Boys:
- 1st Palmerston North Intermediate 32:25.72
- 2nd Saint Kentigern 32:48.51
- 3rd Belmont Intermediate 34:58.92
Under 16 Boys:
- 1st Cambridge High School 25:45.61
- 2nd Auckland Grammar School 26:20.44
- 3rd Takapuna Grammar School 26:38.41
Under 20 Boys:
- 1st Christchurch Boys High School 23:38.97
- 2nd Cambridge High School 23:39.28
- 3rd Palmerston North Boys High School 23:55.95
Click here for the original article.
Click here for full results.