Dragon Boat Championships Cancelled

The Auckland Dragon Boat Association has advised the cancellation of the 2021 College Sport Auckland Dragon Boat Championships this coming weekend Sunday 11 April (Day 2 of the Auckland Regional Dragon Boat Championships).

ADBA understands that this will come with great disappointment for all schools and students after such an uncertain year, however with the pending weather front moving in this weekend, there was no choice but to cancel the event. The weather forecast for this weekend has winds that go well above the safety range limits to both set up the event and to facilitate the racing. ADBA has been watching this forecast for the last few days and met with the Metservice to understand whether there was any likelihood that the forecast may change. Unfortunately, this is not to be the case and therefore due to the forecast wind direction and strength on Lake Pupuke, ADBA are not able to install the pontoons and race lanes nor run the event safely. Safety of all participants is the first priority.

This decision has also been made earlier in the week to ensure teams can be refunded as much as possible. Refund amounts will be confirmed once suppliers have confirmed any cancellation fees.

Alisha Zanetich, ADBA’s Development & Safety Officer says “After putting so much time and effort into this re-launched Regional event following the COVID-19 postponement, to find ways for all of our paddlers to compete we can’t express how hard this decision was to make. We sincerely hope the students have enjoyed the sport and hope to see them back, our boats will always be open to them and yourselves.”