COVID-19 Updates

Monday 14 September:

Following the Government’s decision that Auckland will remain at Alert Level 2.5 until at least Wednesday 23 September, College Sport Auckland have made the decision to cancel all remaining winter sports fixtures. With a maximum of four days of competition left, it is not viable for the winter sports season to continue.

The College Sport Auckland Ski Championships on 21 September have also been cancelled – this event will not be rescheduled again.

Although this is disappointing news for all those involved in secondary school sport, we encourage all schools to continue with their intra-school activities to keep students physically active for the remainder of the term.

We are now looking forward to Term 4 and the summer sports season.

 

Thursday 10 September:

Subject to the COVID-19 alert level and gathering size restrictions, CSA will be resuming the remainder of the winter sports season on Thursday 17 September. This will only occur if Auckland reduces to Alert Level 2 and the gathering size is raised to a number which allows school sport to take place. We would like students and schools to complete the disrupted season in a positive manner by playing their final scheduled game(s). Some sports and grades have already completed their scheduled fixtures and the games missed will not be rearranged.

Fixtures for all sports and events can be found on the CSA website. Below is a summary of our Premier sports.

  • Basketball – Premier: The season will resume at round 7 on 18 September for the last game of the season.
  • Football Boys – Premier, Senior A1, Senior A2: The season will resume at round 13 for the last two games on Friday 18 /Saturday 19 September and Friday 25 / Saturday 26 September.
  • Football Boys – Counties Manukau: No more scheduled fixtures
  • Football Girls – Auckland Premier & Senior A1, Counties Manukau Premier: The season will resume on Wednesday 23 September for the last game of the season.
  • Hockey Boys: Teams will play one game of the Super City competition on Wednesday 23 September.
  • Hockey Girls: Teams will play two games of the Super City competition on Thursday 17 September and Thursday 24 September.
  • Netball: Waiting on confirmation from Auckland Netball
  • Rugby League: No more scheduled fixtures
  • Rugby Union Auckland Boys – 1A & 1B: The season will resume at round 10 for the last two games on Saturday 19 September and Saturday 26 September.
  • Rugby Union Auckland Boys – 1C: The season will resume at round 8 for the last two games finishing on Saturday 19 September and Saturday 26 September.
  • Squash – Premier: No more scheduled fixtures

CSA is aware that for various reasons, some schools will be unable participate in their scheduled fixtures. If this is the case, please contact your opposition and CSA as soon as possible. This will allow schools who wish play, time to make alternative arrangements. Please send this information by email to school.sport@collegesport.co.nz.

CSA is looking at what refunds may be possible for sports who use externally provided facilities, for example, basketball, hockey and squash.

Young Sportsperson of the Year Awards (YSPOTY)

College Sport Auckland has made the difficult decision to cancel the annual YSPOTY Awards which were due to be held at Eden Park on 19 November. With ongoing uncertainly around alert levels, CSA is unable to confidently proceed. Most regional and national events have not taken place and the YSPOTY panel are unable to choose winners for the majority of individual sports. CSA are currently investigating how we can recognise individuals who have excelled this year. Nominations remain open for this reason.

 

Friday 4 September:

Following the Government’s decision that Auckland will remain at Alert Level 2.5 until 11.59pm on Wednesday 16 September, all College Sport Auckland events and activities remain on hold.

At Alert Level 2.5 , College Sport Auckland events and fixtures are not possible due to the gathering size restriction of 10 people.

 

Wednesday 2 September:

On Sunday 6 September the Government will review the current alert levels and gathering restrictions for Auckland. The current gathering limit is 10 people and CSA competitions are unable to take place. Following the update on Sunday 6 September CSA are hopeful that this gathering size limit will increase.

Following consultation with schools, Auckland Council, regional sports organisations and delivery partners, we can confirm the following:

From the week beginning Monday 7 September, the following College Sport Auckland seasons will resume*:

  • Badminton – North Harbour
  • Basketball
  • Football
  • Hockey
  • Lacrosse Girls
  • Netball
  • Squash – Open A Girls, Open B Girls, Open B Boys, Junior Boys (subject to venue availability)
  • Rugby Union
  • Rugby League
  • Table Tennis

The following competitions will not resume until Alert Level 1:

  • Badminton – Auckland Season & Counties Manukau Season
  • Ki O Rahi Senior Championships
  • Table Tennis Championships

*Important note: The resumption of the above activities are subject to the update from Government scheduled for Sunday 6 September regarding the current 10-person maximum gathering size. For competitions to restart, the current restriction will need to be increased to a realistic number that would allow sport to occur.

Updated draws and venues will be available on the College Sport Auckland website and app.

Contact tracing is the responsibility of the host school and should be recorded on the NZ COVID Tracer App. For council facilities, individual schools are responsible for their own contact tracing.

The following College Sport Auckland events have been cancelled and will not be rescheduled again this year:

  • Gymsports Championships
  • Cross Country Championships
  • Lacrosse Championships

 

Friday 28 August:

The College Sport Auckland Ski Championships have been rescheduled for Monday 21 September, subject to Government regulations. Entries close 15 September.

 

Monday 24 August:

At Alert Levels 2 and 3, College Sport Auckland (CSA) events and fixtures are not possible due to current gathering size restrictions. With the loss of a minimum of two more weeks of competition, most season competitions cannot be completed in the remaining time before the end of the winter sports season on Saturday 26 September. Given these factors, the CSA Board has made a number of decisions in recent days, none of which are ideal, but the Board see these as the most equitable outcomes for all. They are as follows:

  • The competition structure and playing conditions will not be changed as the season is well underway.
  • No points will be awarded for the fixtures that could not be played. The fixtures will be considered as ‘abandoned’.
  • For all sanctioned sports and competitions that cannot complete their regular season (as agreed at the beginning of the season), no teams will be subject to promotion and relegation for the 2020 season. This is a decision supported by the CSA Board.

Student well-being is at the forefront of all our minds right now and CSA supports this focus. We appreciate that senior students are preparing for internal and external assessments and examinations so it is unreasonable to expect that students involved with sport should now be asked to sacrifice their academic studies to play for their school sports teams.

In making this decision, we understand the impact this may have on some schools, especially those who were tracking towards promotion, but also those schools in Premier competitions who lost the opportunity to defend their place because a full competition is not on offer in 2020. Therefore, it is equitable to effectively pause the outcomes from the 2020 winter sports season, as all parties, whether working toward promotion, or trying to fend off relegation should be measured over a full season, rather than to allow the effects of COVID-19 restrictions be the determinant.

Following the Government’s announcement this afternoon, Auckland will remain at Alert Level 3 until 11.59pm on Sunday 30 August. In the Auckland region gathering sizes will remain limited to 10 people at Alert Level 2 until at least Sunday 6 September.

We hope that secondary school sport will be able to recommence the regular winter season fixtures after Sunday 6 September, subject to Government advice and gathering size restrictions. The fixtures which have not been played due the recent COVID-19 outbreak will not be rescheduled. These games will be considered abandoned.

 

Wednesday 19 August:

The College Sport Auckland Gymsports Championships (rescheduled for Monday 31 August at Pulman Park) have been postponed. If we are able to reschedule this event during term 3, entries will be reopened for schools.

The Junior A Volleyball Qualifier on 11 & 12 September has been cancelled. Junior A teams will be the top 9 teams from the 2019 College Sport Auckland Junior Volleyball Championships and the Junior A Season will now start on 16/17 October.

 

Tuesday 18 August:

The College Sport Auckland Ski Championships (rescheduled for Tuesday 1 September at Snowplanet) have been postponed, date TBC.

 

Monday 17 August:

Due to Government restrictions, all College Sport Auckland competitions will remain on hold until midnight Wednesday 26 August.

 

Friday 14 August:

With ongoing uncertainty regarding what will happen with the COVID-19 alert levels, we have made the decision to postpone the College Sport Auckland Road Race Championships (scheduled for Tuesday 18 August at Pulman Park) in order to notify our contractors and schools in a timely manner.

 

Thursday 13 August:

Following the Government’s update which took place at 1.00pm today, all College Sport Auckland competitions scheduled for this weekend will not take place. We had hoped that the Ministry of Health may have been in a position to advise us that Auckland would shift back to Alert Level 1 or 2 at midnight tomorrow, however, to date that has not been possible. Given this, we can but assume that Auckland will remain at Alert Level 3 over the weekend and consequently, school sport would not possible due to the Government’s restrictions on gathering sizes.

Once it is safe to do so we will work to reschedule as many events and fixtures as is practical. Rest assured, College Sport Auckland has waited as long as is practical to make this decision.

To reiterate, as we do not have clarity from the Government regarding any extension or upgrade of the current alert level, the most responsible option is for College Sport Auckland to make this announcement now, as we respect schools need time to get students organised for weekend sport. We also understand this would be a more complex exercise to execute while students are not permitted onto your respective campuses.

Along with the seriousness with which schools take the well-being of the students in their care, College Sport Auckland also treats the welfare and safety of students representing their schools as a priority. Sadly, on this occasion it means we must postpone all events and fixtures this weekend.

 

Wednesday 12 August:

Following the Government announcement that Auckland will move to Alert Level 3 at 12.00pm today, all College Sport Auckland competitions have been put on hold until at least midnight on Friday 14 August. This is a fluid situation and a further update will be provided tomorrow.

All College Sport Auckland staff are now working from home. Our main phone line will not be monitored but schools can email school.sport@collegesport.co.nz with any queries.